Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's Blooming Now, Spring is Bustin' Loose!

Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis) Grade A pollinator magnet
Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis) Not visible in this photo are the millions of bees swarming these blossoms!

Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica) Pretty when fresh, but can look a bit ratty in no time.

Virginia Bluebells (Mertensia virginica

Violets, simple and common, but they make me smile.

Blueberry, forgotten variety, maybe Northland

Weeds! Purple Dead Nettle (Laminum purpureum) and Hairy Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta)

Pennsylvania Sedge (Carex pensylvanica) I am really liking this cute little plant...

Pennsylvania Sedge (Carex pensylvanica


6 comments:

  1. You seem to be very far ahead of us. I don't have half of the woodland wildflowers as you do (yet :) )...but those that I do have are not very far along at all. I guess that means I just have something to look forward to.

    Thanks for the preview.~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree - busting out all over. I like the picture of the sedge flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, Everything has popped out all at once, it seems, and all in the span of only a week or so. I bet you'll be blooming next week!

    Ellen, I just planted a few sedges last year and this is the first time I've seen their blooms, I think I'll be ordering more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try the redbuds. They're very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin, Seriously? They're edible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely! As are the young heart shaped leaves and even the fruits that form (the little guys that look like peas, but only when they're young too).

    I used to eat them all of the time.

    ReplyDelete