Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Instant Gratification

I planted some Basil seeds last week to specifically grow indoors for winter harvesting and they've already sprouted! In just 4 days! I chose a compact variety that (I'm hoping) will do well in a pot on my growing stand, and as you can see, the seeds came from Renee's. This is my second year of ordering several types of seed from them, last year I didn't know what I was doing and I still had great success. 

By the way, Basil comes in many shapes, sizes, and colors, and is a fantastic pollinator friendly plant. It was a pleasure to watch (and eat) as it bloomed all summer and was a favorite of the tiniest of bees and flies. Once the sun went down, the moths were drawn to the white flowers like magnets.


There's nothing quite like the excitement I get from seeing those little green specks pushing through the soil. I know it's just silly little Basil, but it's so much fun.


I can't quite find a word for it...but it just makes me happy.


4 comments:

  1. OOOOOOh, you so fancy with your macro lens, shallow depth of field, and arty ground level angle;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're cute too! Those first little leaves, with their rounded baby faces .... Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful to see those baby seedlings, and Renee's wonderful seeds!
    I've some wild arugula I keep meaning to plant. Maybe you've given me the idea to jump-start the process...
    Cheers
    Alice
    aka Alice's Garden Travel Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellen and Alice! Mmmm, I love Arugula! I really want to try growing some this year.

    ReplyDelete