Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Finally! Pictures of the Monarchs!


   The Monarch Parade continues...It's really quite wonderful to see so many of these butterflies doin' their thing. I've had the hardest time trying to photograph them, they are so jumpy. It's been about 4 weeks since I started seeing them consistently heading south, with just a short break in the middle when we had some chilly weather. I don't know if it's because we live along a mountain range, but this area seems to be on their flight path. Is anyone else out there seeing the Monarchs in large numbers? It blows my mind how far these tiny fragile creatures fly.
   They're not stopping anywhere in my yard to feed, but they are feeding heavily from my neighbors yurt sized Buddleia. While I don't recommend anyone planting one because there are far better alternatives, I am happy to see it providing some much needed nectar for these hungry Monarchs.


*Click on the pictures for a larger, better view.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah right. Looks like your invasive bush in your non-conforming yard. You aint foolin' nobody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol ... yurt sized. Fortunately, Buddleia is barely hardy here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are still beautiful pictures - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos! Some of those beauties might have been in my garden last week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody! I've been really encouraged by the numbers of Monarchs I'm seeing, let's hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete