Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby Broadwings!

   I know it's not the best picture, but right in the middle is a Broadwing Hawk nest with at least two chicks in it. My husband and I have been keeping our eye on it for the past few weeks, this is the first time I've seen the babies. Jeff spotted the nest after repeatedly hearing, then seeing the parents where we park our cars to use the trails on Mill Mountain. It appears they built their nest on top of an old squirrel nest in an oak tree. It's seems unusually low compared to other Broadwing nests we've seen, maybe 30-40 feet off the ground. It's so exciting, I wish them luck! I'll keep the blog updated with their progress, and hopefully better photos.......


2 comments:

  1. That's great. And it looks like you have a nice viewing angle with the nest being lower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    Yeah, it's the lowest nest we've ever seen. We had Broadwings nest for several years in a row over at our other property but the nests were always so high that we never had very good looks at them.

    ReplyDelete